I had high hopes for these bars. Wouldn’t you love a recipe that promises the flavor of a sugar cookie with all the ease of a brownie or a bar? This version from InsideBruCrewLife.com popped up on my Pinterest feed at just the same time that I wanted cookies to eat during a Star Wars marathon with the family. How convenient for me!
With no egg yolks, cream of tarter, corn starch, cream cheese or sour cream, this very basic assemblage of ingredients were gathered (under the supervision of two-thirds of the household’s pets). Also adding to the ease of directions- no refrigerator rest time, no smushing with glasses dipped in sugar. I changed only a couple things by omitting the rum flavoring from the cookie dough and icing, and using less sugar in the icing.
Eggnog Sugar Cookie Bars
(as inspired by InsideBruCrewLife .com)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup eggnog
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg- use freshly ground nutmeg for out of this world flavor!
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Set aside flour mixture.
- In another bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg, mix until combined; add eggnog, mix.
- Add flour mixture to wet mix and stir until combined, but do not over mix.
- Press dough into greased 9″ x 13″ baking dish and bake for 15 minutes. Let cool before frosting
Overall, I’d say that we like these cookies. They definitely were super easy, and fast to prepare. They are not a substitute for a really tender yet crisp sugar cookie, though. Sometimes you have to go through those extra steps and use those slightly different ingredients to get exactly what you want. It will be worth it.
Cream together until very light and fluffy one stick of butter and 2 1/2 cups of butter. Slowly add 1/4 cup eggnog and add 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg.
Makes more than enough to frost the above recipe